Creating a Secure Organisation
Workplace Threat Management
Workplace Threat Management
Recent incidents of workplace violence and threats involving aggrieved employees point to the increasingly complex risk environment facing global companies and their staff. For more than 40 years, Control Risks has advanced the concept of proactive workplace violence prevention, developing programs to identify and mitigate threats before they become a crisis.
Shawn VanSlyke is a Principal within our Crisis and Security Consulting Practice based in Washington, DC. Shawn was a recognized subject-matter expert in crisis intervention and risk management. Shawn’s most recent assignment included oversight of the FBI’s multi-agency Behavioral Threat Assessment Center (BTAC), which routinely collaborated with the private sector to fashion innovative insider threat and workplace violence prevention and management strategies. Learn more about Shawn VanSlyke
Andre Simons is a Director within Control Risks’ Crisis and Security Consulting practice based in Washington, DC. Andre retired from the FBI as Unit Chief and Supervisory Special Agent after nearly 23 years of service, devoting more than 12 years to developing and advancing the FBI’s behavioral threat assessment program within the Behavioral Analysis Unit (BAU). Andre is recognized as a leading subject matter expert in mass casualty prevention and response as well as threat management and behavioral analysis. Learn more about Andre Simons
John Lane is a Director out of our Los Angeles office, and has more than 20 years of experience both in the private and public sectors. John was previously a member of the LAPD where he served for 25 years, retiring as a Lieutenant in 1997. During his last 7 years with the LAPD he developed its Threat Management Unit, which gained international recognition for its management of aggravated stalking cases. John founded the Association of Threat Assessment Professionals (ATAP) and has served as the President of both the Los Angeles Chapter and the National Board of Directors. Learn more about John Lane
Threat assessments and program development
Control Risks reviews your threat assessment program to analyze current needs and helps to develop a program that ensures best practices for violence prevention globally, as well as in a US corporate setting.
We can provide:
- A gap analysis of how effective your current approach is at identifying, assessing, prioritizing and responding to concerning behaviors and situations
- An actionable roadmap of recommendations, which may include specific areas for training your threat assessment team
- A framework to formalize overall team objectives, establish member roles and responsibilities, and provide a global process for escalating and responding to issues of concern
Behavioral threat assessments and incident response
Control Risks stands ready to assist organizations in the assessment and mitigation of active threats. Our experts will also recommend an individually tailored intervention and threat management plan for an aggrieved individual.
Our unmatched experience in behavioral threat assessment enables us to design effective intervention strategies across the spectrum of threat situations and actors, from aggrieved current and former employees and other insiders, to hostile customers, consumers, and other members of the public.
Training for organizations
Control Risks provides best-in-class training sessions that are customized to meet the needs of the various parties involved in violence prevention within organizations.
HR and security threat management training
An advanced half-day program specifically designed to meet the needs of team members managing individuals who exhibit behaviors of concern for the spectrum of potential violent attacks, as well as those directly supervising the general workforce:
- Strategies for proactively identifying and managing concerning situations in a manner designed to prevent escalation
- Dynamic lectures and interactive case exercises drawn from our collective experience, all of which are customized to represent the organization’s work model
- A complex interactive tabletop exercise designed to test the knowledge and operational effectiveness of the multi-disciplinary prevention and response team
Specialized crisis intervention training
Our clients increasingly express concern about their employees interacting with hostile or aggrieved customers and other members of the public. To address these challenges, Control Risks has developed specialized crisis intervention training based on our team of experts’ deep expertise in behavioral analysis, threat assessment, radicalization, and violence prevention and response programs. This team trains your public-facing employees in:
- Active listening technique training and exercises to help with conflict resolution
- Crisis intervention techniques
- Other strategies for de-escalating potentially volatile individuals and situations
Active assailant training
Preventing mass casualty attacks and active shooter incidents in the US and globally continues to be a top priority for Control Risks’ clients. Recent high-profile incidents have displayed the full spectrum of attack motivations, with a blend of personally aggrieved, mentally unstable and radicalized attackers. To address these challenges, Control Risks has developed active assailant training designed to meet the needs of the general employee population:
- Reinforce safety-related corporate values within the context of a potential active shooter event
Open-enrollment workshops for individual participants