Ching Liu is a Principal in Control Risks’ EMEA Forensic Technology and Digital Forensics & Incident Response practice, based in London. He is responsible for the DFIR team as well as a practice leader for the technology group, leading on complex investigations in the region.
- Security Risk Management
- Crisis Response
- Investigations, Litigation and Forensics
- Training and Development Solutions
Ching Liu is a Principal for Technology Consulting for Control Risks’ Compliance, Forensics, and Intelligence team based in London. He is responsible for the Digital Forensics and Incident Response practice across EMEA and has over 25 years’ experience in the digital forensics industry, providing subject matter expertise across the globe.
He frequently assists clients in leveraging technology solutions for forensic investigations and matters ranging from insider threats, data theft and corporate fraud, to complex DFIR cyber breaches such as ransomware, system attacks, spear-phishing and email compromises.
Ching has given independent expert testimony in international courts of law from arbitration to criminal crown court. Ching also advises on the full spectrum of technology consulting such as cyber security and response, electronic discovery, data analytics and information security, including regulatory mandates and data privacy.
Recent Project Experience
- Led the global forensic technology team to perform DFIR and forensic technology (legal technology and data analytics) consultancy for one of the world’s leading data insight companies (with a 35,000+ server and endpoint estate), who had suffered a global ransomware attack. This included the forensic acquisition, analysis and subsequent PII review of several terabytes of potentially exfiltrated data.
- Performed expert forensic consultancy and examination for an international education establishment against their rogue IT team. This required deployment of remote forensic tooling for the defensible collection, analysis, and recovery of data from email servers and cloud-based audit trails to investigate illegal access and dissemination of personal information.
- Assisted an international financial institute with the forensic investigation of the misappropriation of funds in a government corruption scandal in Africa, where digital forensic analysis was key in obtaining evidence from laptops and mobile devices that was subsequently used in testimony in court.
- Led a digital forensic team across EMEA performing the secure acquisition of virtual servers and laptop devices for several hundred custodians and created a workflow for the rapid extraction of ESI data for eDiscovery review for a multi-jurisdiction regulatory investigation
- Manages the EMEA team of DFIR consultants to delivery on hundreds of complex cyber response projects per year, ranging from system breaches, zero-day attacks, email compromises and ransomware extortions.
Prior to joining Control Risks, Ching was Systems Programming Manager of British Rail’s Freight Division where he developed and supervised the internal financial and statistical database systems which included assisting British Transport Police in the tracking of suspicious or marked consignments.
Ching is a Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) and EnCase Certified Examiner (EnCE). He is listed in the UK Register of Expert Witnesses and is a member of the ISSA-UK. He graduated from the University of Westminster with a BSc (Hons) in Computer Science.
The Global Insight
The Global Insight