Kent is a Senior Partner in Control Risks Asia Pacific. Based in Shanghai, Kent is responsible for the Compliance, Forensics and Intelligence practice throughout Asia-Pacific.
- Senior Partner
- Asia Pacific
- Creating a Resilient Organisation
- Delivering Growth and Opportunity
- Resolving Critical Issues and Crises
Kent is a Senior Partner in Control Risks Asia Pacific. Based in Shanghai, Kent is responsible for the Compliance, Forensics and Intelligence practice throughout Asia-Pacific. Formerly, Kent was the head of Control Risks’ Greater China and North Asia region. He has lived and worked in Asia since the early 1980s.
Kent has consulted with multi-national and local Asian corporations across all industries on a diverse range of complex risk and strategy issues; from M&A and organic growth strategy, to crisis management and operational business controls, to strategic and organizational development programs. Kent has particular experience and expertise in the healthcare, food and beverage, and consumer products sectors across Asia-Pacific.
Examples of Kent’s work include:
- Designed and implemented a strategic reorganization for a company in a high-risk sector in China, helping it to focus on lower-risk/higher return segments of the market and make adjustments to its commercial practices to be more effective and sustainable.
- Led a new Asia franchising strategy for a global fast food company, including establishing a new franchising strategy, identifying potential partners, completing commercial and integrity due diligence and negotiating final deals.
- Worked with the Asia-Pacific CEO of a company to make a strategic acquisition of a competitor. Kent helped the company by designing and implementing a commercial due diligence programme to verify the target company’s claims of market penetration and quality of earnings. The results of the due diligence showed the company to be radically different from initial assumptions, so Kent worked with the client’s senior management to restructure the deal to mitigate risks and align valuation assumptions.
- Directed crisis management programs for several high-profile corruption and food safety cases in the Asian healthcare, food service and manufacturing sectors, managing a diverse global team of crisis management specialists, investigators, IT forensics and security experts.
Prior to joining Control Risks, Kent was general manager and co-owner of Technomic Asia, a market strategy consulting firm providing mergers and acquisitions advice, deal structuring and negotiations, market research and strategy planning. His work included target selection, investigations of companies prior to a deal (acquisitions, joint ventures, licensing, franchising, etc.) and deal negotiations.
Kent has worked as a journalist and radio broadcaster and is a frequent contributor to Asia-based media outlets. Kent is co-author of The China Ready Company (2006, China Pathways) and writes and produces The Talking Monkey, a blog and podcast on living as a foreigner in China.
Kent has a bachelor’s degree in English and a master’s degree in East Asian studies from the University of Minnesota. He also completed graduate studies in journalism and mass communication as a scholar at the China Times Centre for Mass Media and Social Studies.