John Bray is a risk consultant and policy specialist with more than 30 years’ experience in Asia, Europe and Africa. His particular areas of expertise include: anti-corruption strategies for the private sector; business and human rights; and private sector policy issues in conflict-affected areas.
- Asia Pacific
- Resolving Critical Issues and Crises
- Delivering Growth and Opportunity
- Creating a Compliant Organisation
John Bray is a risk consultant and policy specialist with more than 30 years’ experience in Asia, Europe and Africa. His particular areas of expertise include: anti-corruption strategies for the private sector; business and human rights; and private sector policy issues in conflict-affected areas. He divides his time between Singapore, the UK and a variety of international assignments.
John’s recent consulting experience includes:
- A detailed anti-corruption review for an international company operating in India, with a focus on the practical operational challenges of dealing with officials at the local and state levels.
- Designing a set of anti-corruption and anti-bribery procedures regarding commercial agents, consultants and representatives for a Japanese company working in the Middle East.
- A human rights impact assessment for Control Risks’ own operations in Iraq, based on internal and external field research.
- A mid-term review for an international NGO operating in Myanmar, drawing on extensive interviews with local business people, civil society activists and government officials.
His public sector assignments include special projects for the World Bank, the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). He has also worked on projects with a number of NGOs including International Alert, the International Business Leaders’ Forum and Transparency International.
He is the main author of Control Risks’ International Business Attitudes to Corruption Survey 2015-2016. Other publications include articles for International Review of the Red Cross, Australasian Legal Business, India Business Law Journal, the World Today and International Affairs.
John taught for three years in Kenya and India before joining Control Risks as a country analyst. He led Control Risks’ political risk team in London, before spending 12 years based in Japan, and is now based in Singapore.
John has an MA in History from the University of Cambridge. He speaks plausible German, passable French, conversational Hindi, and survival Japanese.