Gavin leads Control Risks’ risk analysis practice in Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean Community (Caricom). In addition to managing a team of analysts based in Mexico City, Gavin provides expert advisory and bespoke consultancy services for clients across the region.
- Company, Country & Industry Risk Assessment
- Market Entry Assessment
- Political and Economic Risk Consulting
Gavin leads Control Risks’ risk analysis practice in Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean Community (Caricom). In addition to managing a team of analysts based in Mexico City, Gavin provides expert advisory and bespoke consultancy services for clients across the region. Among others, these include: threat monitoring programmes, market entry studies, political risk analysis, stakeholder identification and engagement advisory, and business intelligence investigations.
Gavin’s recent projects include:
- Developing and overseeing internal business development activities relating to US and Canadian clients requiring political risk advisory support in Latin America.
- Delivering in-person and/or video conference briefings to key clients—in Mexico City and abroad—on the current political situation in Mexico generally, as well as risks and opportunities relating to the country’s key sectors.
- Leading on stakeholder identification, analysis and engagement advisory for clients in Mexico concerned by President Andrés Manuel López Obrador’s policy for the energy sector, including his plans for the “reinvigoration” of state-owned oil company Petróleos Mexicanos (Pemex) and the Federal Electricity Commission (CFE).
- Carrying out market entry threat assessments for companies looking to invest in countries across Latin America and the Caribbean in a wide a variety of sectors including energy, infrastructure, technology, mining, manufacturing and agriculture/aquaculture.
- Conducting business intelligence investigations in frontier markets, such as Belize, Nicaragua, Guyana and Suriname.
Before joining Control Risks, Gavin worked as a freelance political risk analyst. He has an MA in Latin American studies from the Institute for the Study of the Americas, University of London and a BA in ancient history from the University of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. Gavin is based in Mexico City but has travelled extensively throughout the Americas. Gavin is a regular contributor to media outlets, including CNN Español, the Financial Times, Al Jazeera and the Mexican national newspaper Reforma. He is fluent in Spanish.
The Global Insight
The Global Insight