Gavin leads Control Risks’ risk analysis practice in Latin America and the Caribbean. In addition to managing a team of analysts based in Mexico City, Bogotá and São Paulo, Gavin provides expert advisory and bespoke consultancy services for clients across the region. Among others, these include: threat monitoring programmes, market entry studies, political risk analysis, stakeholder identification and engagement advisory, and business intelligence investigations.
Gavin’s recent projects include:
- Developing and overseeing internal business development activities relating to US and Canadian clients requiring political risk advisory support in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Delivering in-person and/or video conference briefings to key clients on the current political situation in Latin America and the Caribbean, as well as risks and opportunities relating to the region’s key sectors.
- Overseeing the preparation of market entry threat assessments for companies looking to invest in countries across the region in a wide a variety of sectors including energy, infrastructure, technology, mining, manufacturing, life sciences and agriculture/aquaculture.
- Contributing to Control Risks’ inaugural report on sanctions risk in Central America.
- Conducting business intelligence investigations in frontier markets, such as Belize, Nicaragua, Guyana and Suriname.
Gavin is based in Mexico City but has travelled extensively throughout the Americas. He has an MA in Latin American studies from the Institute for the Study of the Americas, University of London and a BA in ancient history from the University of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. Gavin is a regular contributor to media outlets, including CNN Español, the Financial Times, Al Jazeera and the Mexican national newspaper Reforma. He is fluent in Spanish.