Mavis Tan is a Partner in Control Risks, based in Hong Kong. She leads Control Risks’ forensics practice for Greater China and North Asia. She has over 20 years’ experience as an accountant and has for the last 18 years, specialised in forensic accounting, disputes support and insolvency.
- Asia Pacific
- Risk Assessments
- Investigation Services
- Litigation and Dispute Support
- Forensic Data Analytics
- Deal Intelligence and Due Diligence - Target and Management
Mavis Tan is a Partner in Control Risks, based in Hong Kong. She leads Control Risks’ forensics practice for Greater China and North Asia. She has over 20 years’ experience as an accountant and has for the last 18 years, specialised in forensic accounting, disputes support and insolvency. Mavis has led many high profile and confidential internal and regulatory investigations in the Asia Pacific region. She has also managed in excess of one hundred company liquidations, restructurings and receiverships.
Mavis’ clients include high net worth individuals and listed multinational companies and she has assisted them in responding to complex financial disputes and whistle-blower allegations of fraud and corruption, including acting as an expert witness in civil and criminal proceedings.
Examples of Mavis’ engagements include:
- Retained by external counsel on behalf of a US-listed diagnostics equipment manufacture in an SEC investigation into allegations of bribery by its Chinese subsidiary and potential conflicts of interest involving family members of the head of its China operations.
- Compliance risk assessment for the China, Japan and Australian commercial operations of a multinational drug company, focused on identifying high risk local activities and relationships from an anti-corruption and bribery perspective, and improving its compliance controls.
- Engaged as expert forensic accountant by the defendant in criminal proceedings for alleged money laundering offences. Written and oral expert evidence was provided and accepted by the District Court of Hong Kong, resulting in the defendant being acquitted.
- Engaged as expert forensic accountant in SIAC arbitration proceedings to opine on the adequacy of financial accounts produced by a party in a share purchase agreement dispute between a Nasdaq listed travel group and vendors of an online travel agent business.
- Engaged as expert accountant to opine on the solvency of a Hong Kong company in the years prior to its liquidation, in proceedings brought against the directors of the company in the United States Southern District Court of New York by a litigation funder.
- Joint and Several Receiver and Manager of certain assets of an insolvent electronics trading company. The engagement required the investigation of a trade credit fraud.
- Investigated a listing fraud involving circular financing arrangements to inflate sales and profits, on the instruction of the Hong Kong Department of Justice and Independent Commission Against Corruption.
Before joining Control Risks, Mavis was a Senior Managing Director of FTI Consulting’s forensic and litigation consulting practice based in Hong Kong. Prior to that, she was a director of Baker Tilly Hong Kong’s business recovery and forensic accounting practice. Mavis relocated to Hong Kong from the UK in 2002, where she was engaged in corporate finance deal origination and statutory audit work.
Mavis qualified as a Chartered Accountant with the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (“ICAEW”), is an ICAEW-accredited Forensic Accountant, a fellow of the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (“HKICPA”), a practising member of The Academy of Experts and holds a HKICPA specialist designation in insolvency.
The Global Insight