Asia In Focus
Mark Young is a director in Control Risks’ Compliance, Forensics and Intelligence practices in Shanghai, focusing on fraud and forensics matters in Greater China. For the last 14 years, Mark has been based in Shanghai, specialising in the execution of fraud investigations in mainland China and other jurisdictions.
- Asia Pacific
- Anti-fraud & Financial Crime
- Internal Controls and Monitorships
- Internal Investigations Advisory
Mark Young is a director in Control Risks’ Compliance, Forensics and Intelligence practices in Shanghai, focusing on fraud and forensics matters in Greater China. For the last 14 years, Mark has been based in Shanghai, specialising in the execution of fraud investigations in mainland China and other jurisdictions. Mark’s overall experience includes law enforcement work in the US, consulting on a wide range of risk and investigation projects in mainland China, as well as leadership of an in-house global investigations function of a Fortune 100 manufacturer.
His recent experience includes:
- Led an investigation in mainland China that revealed a complex fraud scheme dealing with the theft of licensing codes for network equipment.
- Inquiries into a vague whistleblower allegation suggesting corrupt behavior by a high-level manager, which ultimately revealed numerous conflicts of interest with a supplier company.
- An investigation into corruption in a factory’s metal recycling process, which identified bid rigging among vendors, collusion with procurement team members and a theft methodology targeting high value production materials being secreted in waste products.
- Management of risk assessment projects to bolster internal controls at research and development facilities.
- Co-led a commercial investigation training and development program for an Asia investigations function of a global testing, inspection and certification provider.
- Led a response to a critical information breach at a prototype production project, which quickly identified the persons responsible for the breach. Post-action analysis and mitigation identified and mended the process gaps that facilitated the breach.
Before joining Control Risks, Mark was senior director of global investigations at Flex Ltd in their brand protection and security team, specialising in the leadership, oversight and execution of compliance investigations in Flex’s complex manufacturing environment. Before working at Flex Ltd, Mark was a director at Kroll, managing due diligence, internal fraud and intellectual property investigations. Mark started his career as a police officer in California before moving to Shanghai.
Mark holds an MBA, is a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), as well as a Certified Forensic Interviewer (CFI) and has a Lean Six Sigma Green Belt (ICGB) certification. He is proficient in both spoken and written Mandarin.
Asia In Focus