Iain Donald is a Partner at Control Risks and the head of Markets and Partnerships for the US and Canada. Based in New York, Iain oversees the firm’s regional go-to-market and client engagement activities, and works with Control Risks’ multidisciplinary teams across the globe to solve clients’ most complex problems.
- Political Risk Governance Programmes
- Project and Country Risk Assessment
- Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) Consulting
Iain Donald is a Partner at Control Risks and the head of Markets and Partnerships for the US and Canada. Based in New York, Iain oversees the firm’s regional go-to-market and client engagement activities, and works with Control Risks’ multidisciplinary teams across the globe to solve clients’ most complex problems. With 20 years in the risk consulting sector in the Americas and Europe, Iain is an expert in transaction and market entry/exit advisory: helping clients capture commercial opportunity while managing strategic and operational risks.
For ten years Iain led Control Risks’ political and country risk practice in the Americas, significantly expanding the business and evolving its offering. Iain developed the firm’s team of expert risk analysts and consultants, which now offers an unparalleled range of solutions to clients as they expand and invest globally, from tackling complex stakeholder issues on-the-ground to advising on matters of corporate or investment strategy.
Iain is actively involved with Control Risks’ clients in the private investments space, serving as account director for many of the firm’s most significant private equity and pension fund relationships.
Highlights of Iain’s recent experience include:
- Leading a multidisciplinary team providing end-to-end risk, compliance and ESG diligence on a multi-billion dollar infrastructure transaction in Latin America for a major private investor.
- Helping a large fund resolve significant stakeholder and reputational issues concerning an infrastructure investment in Latin America, delivering detailed local intelligence and a holistic analysis of the risks associated with the asset.
- Leading advisory work with a large US corporation considering exiting a challenging market; outlining detailed scenarios and working closely with outside counsel to establish critical strategic and contingency plans.
- Managing a long-term project to comprehensively map the country risk profile of a systemically important global financial institution and create a holistic methodology to benchmark and index risks in its portfolio on an ongoing basis.
Before joining Control Risks in 2007, Iain was Director for Global Risks at a UK-based international risk consultancy. Iain holds a Bachelors in Geography from the University of Birmingham, and a Masters in War Studies from Kings College London. He is a regular media commentator on international political, security and business risk management issues.
The Global Insight