Iain Donald is a Senior Partner for Global Risk Analysis in the Americas. Based in New York, Iain specializes in supporting clients in the identification of effective approaches to entering new markets: capturing commercial opportunity while managing strategic and operational risks. His experience extends in particular to the extractives, infrastructure and insurance sectors.
- Political Risk Governance Programmes
- Project and Country Risk Assessment
- Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) Consulting
Iain Donald is a Senior Partner for Global Risk Analysis in the Americas. Based in New York, Iain specializes in supporting clients in the identification of effective approaches to entering new markets: capturing commercial opportunity while managing strategic and operational risks. His experience extends in particular to the extractives, infrastructure and insurance sectors. Iain leads a department of expert analysts and risk consultants delivering country risk analysis, threat assessments, risk workshops and scenario planning exercises for clients.
Highlights of Iain’s recent experience include:
- Creating a sophisticated multi-country benchmarking project for an international infrastructure company looking to acquire a smaller firm with a footprint across Latin America, Africa and the Middle East. The project allowed the risk profile of the expanded venture to be easily established.
- Carrying out a workshop with the C-Suite of a diversified oil and gas services company, to explore its exposure to corrupt practices and regulatory risks across the different operating environments in its wide global footprint.
- Managing a long-term project to comprehensively map the country risk profile of a systemically important global financial institution and create a holistic methodology to benchmark and index risks in its portfolio on an ongoing basis.
- Leading a multi-disciplinary team to conduct a comprehensive Voluntary Principles (VPs) risk assessment of a mining exploration site in South America that was being taken through feasibility and into production. The project delivered a detailed forward-looking report that supported future security planning and the roll out of a VPs compliance and training program at the site.
Before joining Control Risks, Iain was Director for Global Risks at a UK-based international risk consultancy, leading the Intelligence and Security Consultancy departments. Iain holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Geography from the University of Birmingham, and a Master of Arts in War Studies from Kings College London. Iain has been a regular media commentator on international political, security and business risk management issues.