Angela is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), formerly with Deloitte & Touche, and has worked in financial services and economic development for 20 years. She has been posted in Russia, Indonesia, and Egypt, and has worked in India, China, Eastern Europe and sub-Saharan Africa.
- Asia Pacific
- Business Intelligence
- Ethics and Compliance Consulting
- Corruption, Fraud and Regulatory Investigations
Angela is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), formerly with Deloitte & Touche, and has worked in financial services and economic development for 20 years. She has been posted in Russia, Indonesia, and Egypt, and has worked in India, China, Eastern Europe and sub-Saharan Africa. Her technical specialties are economic development, governance, anti-money laundering policies and audits, anti-corruption, compliance and financial risk management consulting.
Prior to this role, she was based in New York City where she managed Control Risks' Global Client Services practice for the US East Coast and eastern Canada, and led Control Risks' Financial Services practice in the Americas.
Highlights of Angela’s experience include:
- Leading the delivery of business intelligence to a US hedge fund related to that fund’s potential positions in publicly-traded stocks in China.
- Providing a suite of risk mitigation services to a global pharmaceutical company related to product integrity in the supply chain and consumer market, reputational and regulatory risk of suppliers and joint venture partners, country- and sector-specific intelligence gathering and analysis, and information and product security-related risks to global facilities.
- Undertaking a large, multijurisdictional investigative due diligence program for a multinational company’s third party agents just prior to its acquisition.
- Helping to develop a global anti-bribery and corruption policy and code of conduct for a Canadian-headquartered multinational company.
- Drafting Control Risks’ new anti-money laundering audit methodology and field audit procedures.
Before joining Control Risks, Angela was Managing Director and Head of Asia, Russia/Eurasia and Africa Programs for the Financial Services Volunteer Corps, a not-for-profit organization led by John Whitehead, with Paul Volcker serving as Honorary Chairman, which provides policy advice and technical training to emerging market governments and banks on economic development, risk management, and anti-money laundering and anti-corruption. She led consulting programs in Russia, Indonesia, Egypt, India, China, Malawi and Albania. Earlier, she opened FSVC’s Egypt office and served as Country Director in Indonesia. Her work at FSVC in included advising Russia’s central bank on policy responses to the 2008 financial crisis and Russia’s FIU on AML regulation and preparing for FATF audits. She also provided advisory work and training to Indonesia’s central bank, FIU and Corruption Eradication Commission which helped them be removed from FATF’s “blacklist” of non-cooperative countries and territories, and consulted with China’s central bank and three of the top four Chinese commercial banks on governance and financial risk management.
Prior to joining FSVC, Angela served in various senior finance roles for private-sector firms in the US and Russia, including as Controller of an American firm in Russia, and Director of Global Finance for a technology company, where she managed the firm’s seven financial staff offices throughout the US, Canada, Singapore and Brazil and was part of a small team that led the firm’s initial public offering. Angela is a former Senior Auditor with Deloitte & Touche, and earlier in her career she founded a newspaper, The Azeri Times, in Azerbaijan.
Angela holds a Master of International Affairs degree from Columbia University. She is a Life Member of the Council on Foreign Relations, a member and former Vice Chair of the Council for Emerging National Security Affairs (CENSA) and a Truman National Security Fellow. She has published a number of articles on economic development governance and security in emerging markets and has lectured on business risks in emerging markets and AML/FCPA issues. She has appeared on Bloomberg News, BBC, NPR and Channel News Asia and has been interviewed for the Financial Times, American Banker and other media outlets.