Gary Coffey is an Associate Director with Control Risks’ Crisis and Resilience Consulting team based in Washington D.C. where he focuses on kidnap-for-ransom and response preparedness sub-practice.
- Crisis Management & Business Continuity Strategy Planning
- Kidnap Extortion & Complex Incident Training
- Threat & Risk Assessments
Gary Coffey is an Associate Director with Control Risks’ Crisis and Resilience Consulting team based in Washington D.C. where he focuses on kidnap-for-ransom and response preparedness sub-practice. In addition to kidnap for ransom work, Gary focuses on crisis management planning and preparation, workplace violence and active shooter life safety threats.
Gary Coffey is a highly decorated retired FBI Special Agent and Supervisor with over 32 years of law enforcement experience. At the FBI, he led the Joint Terrorism Task Force where he specialized in domestic terrorism operations involving a wide range of extremist groups and served as the Crisis Manager for the New England Region.
Gary has been recognized by, and has served as an instructor for, international, federal and state law enforcement agencies on hostage negotiations and crisis management. He is a sought-after keynote speaker for both corporate and public audiences, domestically and internationally, due to his extensive knowledge and expertise in the use of Behaviour Detection Officers, bomb technicians, and communication technology which he implemented to mitigate threats
Highlights of Gary’s experience include:
- FBI Crisis Negotiator during international and domestic hostage crises, to include an incident involving hostages at a US presidential candidate’s campaign office.
- 2019 Department of Justice Award Winner for a complex cyber stalking case.
- Supervisory Special Agent responsible for analysis, operational response to, and successful mitigation of, over 3,000 reported threats of imminent violence annually.
- Architect of evidence intake protocols for the Boston Marathon Bombing investigation which accounted for thousands of pieces of evidence and prioritized digital media.
- Author and facilitator of active shooter/workplace violence TableTop and Full-Scale exercises for universities and corporations, offering tailored simulations and solutions to each institution’s needs.
Gary is an FBI certified Crisis Management Coordinator, Negotiator, and interview and interrogation instructor. Gary holds a master’s degree in criminal justice from Anna Maria College in Paxton, Massachusetts, and had over ten years of experience as a police officer in Massachusetts.
The Global Insight