Supporting a broadcaster at FIFA tournaments in Russia
- Creating a Secure Organisation
- Sport and Major Events Risk Management
Support to a broadcaster at the FIFA Confederations Cup and World Cup in Russia
Acknowledging the unique challenges presented by the security and operational environment in Russia, the broadcaster partnered with Control Risks for the provision of security services for the FIFA Confederations Cup 2017 and FIFA World Cup 2018 in Russia. The project demanded 24/7 operations focused on the safety and security for hundreds of people and assets moving in and out of 11 cities in Russia for over two months at a time.
With a traveling population ranging from technical production and broadcast support staff, to high-profile on-air talent and some of the entertainment industry’s most senior executives, the project required a high degree of flexibility and scalability in its planning and execution.
Control Risks’ approach
Control Risks’ prior successful experience as a supporting partner for similar major events — including FIFA and Olympic Games support globally — combined with our long history of work in Russia meant we were uniquely qualified to provide comprehensive security services aligned with the broadcaster’s unique requirements.
Through our embedded security director, security manager, local and regional support teams and Russian security resources, Control Risks provided the following support:
- Managing the security for 400+ foreign and local nationals
- Supporting the broadcaster in the delivery of hospitality services to VIP personnel
- Providing journey management for all traveling teams
- Providing security and operational support for the primary site locations
- Liaising and developing excellent relationships with stadium operations leads, transportation hubs, FIFA officials and relevant authorities
- Setting up and managing a Security Operations Center (SOC)
- Supporting executive visitors
- Effectively managing all security personnel
- Working closely with the broadcaster’s corporate security function, providing intelligence reports and decision-making support
- Representing the broadcaster at in-country security planning and informational meetings prior to and during the event