Based in Bogotá, Nicolas leads the Compliance, Forensics and Intelligence practice for the Andean region, supporting Control Risks’ expansion and growth in Colombia and neighboring countries.
Nicolas has managed multiple high-profile corruption, bribery and money-laundering investigations for local and multinational companies across various sectors and jurisdictions, and has delivered numerous due diligence and business intelligence projects for clients in a wide range of industries. He has also supported clients in the design, implementation and strengthening of robust compliance programs, ensuring that they are consistent not only with local legislation and regulations but also with international standards and industry best practice.
Nicolas’ recent experience includes:
- Managing a high-profile corruption and money-laundering investigation with FCPA ramifications and legal proceedings for a multinational company in Colombia
- Assisting a multinational mining company in assessing its reputational risk exposure in its operations in rural Colombia
- Conducting transaction-testing work to identify any corruption or reputational contingencies that could affect the interests of an international client acquiring a company in the Andean region
- Working with a global client’s external legal advisors on forensic collection and analysis of information from dozens of devices (laptops, PCs, mobile phones and tablets) to inform and gather solid facts for the client’s defense and legal strategy
- Leading a whistleblower-driven investigation into the violation of corporate policies for a client in Paraguay
- Conducting due diligence tasks for clients across complex sectors and jurisdictions, including Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Venezuela
- Supporting the development of a data analytics-based solution to reduce corruption and fraud risk for one of Peru’s largest banks
- Advising clients on strengthening compliance systems across industries and sectors in the Andean region, particularly in Colombia and Peru
Before joining Control Risks, Nicolas worked as a corporate lawyer in Bogotá; a field officer for the Organization of American States Mission to Support the Peace Process in the demobilization of United Self-Defense Forces of Colombia paramilitary groups in Colombia; a projects officer focusing on peace building and institutional strengthening for the Canadian Embassy in Colombia; an Andean region analyst for International Crisis Group; a project manager focusing on maritime security, prevention of money laundering and terrorism financing programs at the Inter American Committee Against Terrorism for the Organization of American States in Washington DC; and a program coordinator at the United Nations Regional Center for Peace, Disarmament and Development in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Nicolas is a lawyer and political scientist with a bachelor’s degree from the Universidad de los Andes and master’s degrees in tax law from Javeriana University in Bogotá and international public law from the London School of Economics and Political Science. As a UK and Colombian citizen, Nicolas speaks Spanish and English fluently and French at an intermediate level.
The Global Insight