Based in Bogotá, Nicolas is responsible for managing existing relationships and key accounts, as well as identifying opportunities to expand Control Risks’ business in Latin America. As a subject-matter expert across various practice areas, and the former head of the Compliance, Forensics and Intelligence practice for the Andean region, Nicolas also actively leads and manages complex projects related to political, security and integrity risks, advising clients on effective strategies to address challenges and succeed in complex environments.
Among many other engagements, Nicolas’s recent experience includes:
- Managing a high-profile corruption and money-laundering investigation for a multinational company, with FCPA ramifications as well as legal proceedings in Colombia
- Assisting a multinational mining company in assessing its reputational risk exposure in its operations in rural Colombia
- Conducting transaction testing work to identify any corruption-related or reputational contingencies that could affect the interests of an international client acquiring a company in the Andean region
- Working with a global client’s external legal advisors in the forensic collection and analysis of information from dozens of devices (laptops, PCs mobile phones and tablets) to inform and gather solid facts for the client’s defense and legal strategy
- Conducting numerous due diligence tasks for clients across several sectors and jurisdictions, including Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Venezuela
- Supporting the presentation of a data analytics-based solution to reduce corruption and fraud risk within one of Peru’s largest banks
- Advising clients on strengthening compliance systems across several industries and sectors, mainly in Colombia and Peru
Before joining Control Risks, Nicolas worked as a corporate lawyer in Bogotá; a field officer for the Organization of American States Mission to Support the Peace Process in the demobilization of AUC paramilitary groups in Colombia; a projects officer (peace building and institutional strengthening) at the Canadian Embassy in Colombia; Andean Region analyst for International Crisis Group; a project manager (maritime security, prevention of money laundering and terrorism financing) at the Inter American Committee against Terrorism in the OAS in Washington, DC; and Program Coordinator at the UN Regional Center for Peace, Disarmament and Development in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Nicolas graduated with undergraduate degrees in law and political science from the Universidad de los Andes. He holds master’s degrees in tax law from Javeriana University in Bogotá and international public law from the London School of Economics and Political Science. Nicolas speaks Spanish and English fluently, and French at an intermediate level. He is a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE).