Based in Bogotá, Nicolas leads the Compliance, Forensics and Intelligence practice for the Andean region, supporting the expansion and growth of Control Risks in Colombia and neighbouring countries.
Nicolas’s recent experience includes:
- Managed a high-profile corruption and money laundering investigation for a multinational company, with FCPA ramifications as well as legal proceedings in Colombia
- Assisted a multinational mining company in assessing its reputational risk exposure in its operations in rural Colombia
- Led a whistleblower-driven investigation into violation of corporate policies for a client in Paraguay;
- Conducted several due diligence tasks for clients across a number of sectors and jurisdictions, including Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Venezuela;
- Supported the presentation of a data analytics-based solution to reduce corruption and fraud risk in one of Peru’s largest banks;
- Advised clients on strengthening compliance systems across several industries and sectors, mainly in Colombia and Peru
Before joining the company, Nicolas worked as a corporate lawyer in Bogotá; field officer for the Organization of American States Mission to Support the Peace Process in the demobilization of AUC paramilitary groups in Colombia; projects officer (peace building and institutional strengthening) in the Canadian Embassy in Colombia; Andean Region analyst for International Crisis Group; project manager (maritime security, prevention of money laundering and terrorism financing) at the Inter American Committee against Terrorism in the OAS in Washington; and Program Coordinator at the United Nations Regional Center for Peace, Disarmament and Development in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Nicolas is a lawyer and political scientist from the Universidad de los Andes, with master’s degrees in tax law from Javeriana University in Bogotá and international public law from the London School of Economics and Political Science. As a British and Colombian citizen he speaks Spanish and English fluently, and French at an intermediate level.