John is a Principal at Control Risks and is responsible for the company’s business in Canada. He has been posted in London, Nairobi and Lagos and has worked with clients on-the-ground in more than 40 countries, advising on strategies to maximise their commercial opportunities, develop management systems and capability to address risk and respond to issues and crises.
- Business Intelligence
- Crisis Management & Business Continuity Strategy Planning
- Risk Governance & Organisational Design
John is a Principal at Control Risks and is responsible for the company’s business in Canada. He has been posted in London, Nairobi and Lagos and has worked with clients on-the-ground in more than 40 countries, advising on strategies to maximise their commercial opportunities, develop management systems and capability to address risk and respond to issues and crises. John has extensive experience providing consulting to investors and multinational companies.
John’s experience includes:
- Assisting a Canadian investor in understanding the political, reputational and business integrity risks associated with a strategic investment in infrastructure assets spanning several Latin American jurisdictions.
- Working with a major financial institution in relation to a fraud investigation spanning several conflict and post-conflict countries in Africa. The investigation included an examination of links between high-profile business people and politicians, as well as managing physical and reputational risks to the investigations team.
- Risk advisory and development of a target operating model for a Eurozone national central bank’s security, crisis management and business continuity organization.
- Leading a project to develop a security risk assessment and pre-FEED concept for an energy mega project in Europe, spanning several countries.
- Assisting a portfolio company of a Canadian private equity firm plan for and ultimately extricate itself from a business relationship with a hostile third party in Europe. The work included development of contingency planning for the transition, management of the process to select an alternate vendor and provision of strategic and tactical support during the notification and transition process.
Immediately prior to his current role in Canada, John was a Director based in Lagos, Nigeria and Nairobi, Kenya. He also held several roles in the firm’s London headquarters, including Operations Manager for North Africa and Operations Manager of Control Risks’ incident management support service. Prior to joining Control Risks in 2005, John worked in scenario planning.
John holds a BA from McGill University, a MLitt from the University of St. Andrews and an International Diploma in Risk Management from the UK’s Institute of Risk Management. He is also a certified Governance, Risk and Compliance Professional (GRCP) and is a trained project manager (PRINCE2).