Michele Wiener is a Senior Partner within Control Risks’ Compliance, Investigations and Technology practice in the Americas region. She has significant experience in fraud and corporate compliance matters in the US and abroad. Working on behalf of legal counsel, boards of directors and senior management of public and private corporations, Michele specializes in conducting complex corporate investigations and forensic accounting engagements.
- Senior Partner
- Resolving Critical Issues and Crises
- Creating a Compliant Organisation
- Delivering Growth and Opportunity
Michele Wiener is a Senior Partner within Control Risks’ Compliance, Investigations and Technology practice in the Americas region. She has significant experience in fraud and corporate compliance matters in the US and abroad. Working on behalf of legal counsel, boards of directors and senior management of public and private corporations, Michele specializes in conducting complex corporate investigations and forensic accounting engagements involving allegations of corruption, financial reporting fraud, internal controls and books and record-keeping violations under both the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and UK Bribery Act.
She has led engagements in more than 30 countries, including the US, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. Michele has also helped companies design, evaluate and improve anti-corruption and anti-fraud compliance programs.
Michele’s recent experience includes:
- Retained by a publicly-traded global government services provider to investigate possible bribe payments to foreign officials through one of its subcontractors in the Middle East in connection with disclosure to the US government.
- Engagement lead for a complex independent investigation into a leading pharmaceutical company’s operations and interactions with healthcare professionals, distributors and vendors in China.
- Retained by counsel to one of the world’s largest offshore drilling companies to perform a review of its Brazilian marketing agent’s operations to assist in evaluating the risk with respect to FCPA compliance.
- Led a court-appointed independent compliance consulting team for a large global pharmaceutical company in connection with an FCPA settlement with the US Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Developed and implemented risk assessment review workplans for global companies in the medical devices, pharmaceutical, energy, telecommunications, and manufacturing industries.
Prior to joining Control Risks, Michele spent a decade at FTI Consulting, where she was a managing director in its forensic and litigation consulting practice. Prior to that, she was a manager at Ten Eyck Associates, a boutique firm specializing in investigative accounting and consulting focused on securities laws, financial reporting and accounting issues.
Michele has authored articles and given numerous presentations on compliance and anti-corruption, accounting principles, auditing standards, interviewing techniques and accounting ethics issues. She is a member of the Pennsylvania and New Jersey bars and is a Certified Fraud Examiner.
Michele holds a B.A. from Dickinson College. She received her law degree from Villanova University School of Law, where she was the recipient of the prestigious 1993 Reimel Moot Court Award.