Steve Blum is a Principal within Control Risks’ Compliance, Forensics and Intelligence practice in the Americas region. A Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) and Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF), Steve has almost 30 years of experience including serving in the practices of “Big Four” and other international consulting firms.
- Due Diligence
- Investigation Services
- Investigations, Litigation and Forensics
Steve Blum is a Principal within Control Risks’ Compliance, Forensics and Intelligence practice in the Americas region. A Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) and Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF), Steve has almost 30 years of experience including serving in the practices of “Big Four” and other international consulting firms. He has significant experience in fraud and corporate compliance matters in the US and abroad.
Working on behalf of legal counsel, boards of directors and senior management of public and private corporations, Steve specializes in conducting complex corporate investigations and forensic accounting engagements involving allegations of corruption, financial reporting fraud, internal controls and books and record-keeping violations under both the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and the UK Bribery Act. Steve also has significant experience in providing consulting and expert witness services in matters involving complex financial and accounting issues.
Highlights of Steve’s most recent experience include:
- Retained by a large energy exploration company to serve as the independent investigator of whistleblower allegations of self-dealing and procurement fraud around the implementation of their next generation ERP system. Allegations implicated senior levels of management including C Suite personnel. During the height of the Covid Pandemic, and while being shadowed by the company’s independent auditor, Control Risks investigated the allegations and concluded the allegations were without merit.
- Led an international engagement in Brazil to perform a bribery and corruption risk assessment related to a large infrastructure project on behalf of a private equity investor. Provided specific recommendations to enhance existing compliance program based on our assessment.
- On-going assistance to a generic drug manufacturer and its counsel with a submission to the OCA regarding its revenue recognition practices associated with a strategic alliance agreement. The strategic alliance agreements created numerous questions about multiple deliverables as well as potential embedded derivative instruments.
- Retained by the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors of a global provider of technology outsourcing based in India to assist independent counsel with allegations raised in an anonymous whistleblower letter. Allegations covered a wide range of claims including kickbacks, conflicts of interest, out of policy expense reimbursements and the results of prior investigations into earlier whistleblower allegations.
Steve is a member of the AICPA, the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners. He was previously the Chairman of the Pennsylvania CPA Journal Editorial Board. Steve holds a B.S. in accounting and finance from Drexel University. He was the recipient of the prestigious Drexel Accounting Department’s Leadership and Service Award and admitted as a member of the Honor Society for Collegiate Schools of Business and the National Accounting Honor Society.
The Global Insight