Patrick leads Control Risks’ analysis of political, operational and security environments in Iraq and Oman. He writes daily analysis for CORE, our online information service, provides bespoke political risk advisory services to clients across sectors, and oversees the Iraq Weekly report. Patrick works closely with our analysis teams in Baghdad, Basra and Erbil, where he travels regularly, and leads on consulting engagements on Iraq and Oman.
He has seven years’ experience of reporting, researching and consultancy on Iraq, with a focus on the oil & gas sector, and lived in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq for five years.
His experience includes:
- Quarterly monitoring service covering developments within Iraq’s oil and gas industry, security issues, and political stability developments that would impact the country’s fiscal stability for an export credit agency
- Analysis of the political and economic structure of Iraq’s pharmaceutical market for an international pharmaceutical company
- Analysis of corruption risks in Iraq’s pharmaceutical market for an international pharmaceutical company
- Quarterly written assessment of the Iraqi government’s capability and willingness to meet its financial obligations for a development bank
- Award-winning news reporting and custom research coverage from the KR, Baghdad, Basra, Kirkuk, Tikrit and Mosul for Iraq Oil Report, a specialist news and research service, covering the federal and KR oil and gas sectors, political dynamics, security, conflict and economics
Patrick has an English literature degree from the University of Warwick and postgraduate legal qualifications. He also qualified as a lawyer in England and Wales.