Nick Panes serves as a Senior Partner for Control Risks’ and leads the Global Risk Analysis department for Europe and Africa. Previous to this, Nick was based in Mexico and was responsible for the Global Client Services department for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean.
- Business Intelligence
- Company, Country & Industry Risk Assessment
- Executive Advisory
Nick Panes serves as a Senior Partner for Control Risks’ and leads the Global Risk Analysis department for Europe and Africa. Previous to this, Nick was based in Mexico and was responsible for the Global Client Services department for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. In this role he worked with clients in the development and implementation of risk management solutions, with a particular emphasis on the design of regulatory and anti-corruption compliance systems.
Nick's recent projects include:
- Designing and implementing pre-transaction due diligence and anti-corruption risk assessment tools as part of an assessment of a company’s compliance system. The project focused on ensuring efficient internal systems and compliance with domestic and international anti-corruption legislation.
- Strategic business intelligence and stakeholder mapping for an infrastructure project in Mexico, providing a comprehensive threat and security analysis of the potential operating environment and a map of the key project stakeholders and their potential impact on the project.
- A fraud and corruption risk assessment for an international healthcare firm, including an FCPA compliance audit of its India operations.
- An anti-money laundering audit of a client’s banking and exchange house operations to ensure compliance with relevant national financial authorities’ statutory requirements.
Since joining Control Risks in January 2001, Nick has focused on corporate investigations and political and security risk analysis. Nick previously led the India and South Asia corporate investigations practice out of the New Delhi office, worked as a senior consultant in the Sydney office, and was responsible for analyzing political and security developments in Latin America as a senior Americas analyst.
Nick has a Master’s of Arts degree in Latin American Politics from the Institute of Latin American Studies, London. He has a Bachelor of Arts degree in Geography and Politics from the University of Edinburgh. Nick is a Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS) and also completed the Investigators’ Course run by the Centre for Investigative Studies & Crime Reduction at Charles Sturt University. Nick speaks fluent Spanish and is proficient in French and Portuguese.