Michael is a Partner and leads Control Risks’ Forensic and Technology practice across Asia Pacific. He is based in Singapore and is a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA). Michael has over 25 years of experience as a forensic accountant, assisting clients with sensitive situations involving theft, fraud, bribery, money laundering, corruption, and other regulatory or policy breaches. He is recognized as a global leader in the area of dispute resolution involving commercial, investor state (BIT) or state on state, in various forums including arbitration, litigation and mediation.
Michael assists clients in establishing the facts of a situation through meticulous review of the available documentation and the conduct of robust interviews. Michael works closely with corporate clients and their legal advisors when acting as an expert witness in matters involving accounting, damage quantification and regulatory compliance during administrative, civil and criminal proceedings. He sits as an arbitrator and provides expert determinations to facilitate the resolution of disputes by the parties.
Michael has been recognized by his peers for expert witness in Who’s Who Legal since its inception as well as more recently as a Thought Leader.
A selection of Michael’s engagements include:
- Party appointed expert as to the reasonability of representations made during negotiations for an equity investment into a manufacturing company, and the resulting damages to the investors.
- Assisted a client and its counsel defend against allegations of criminal benefit from transactions with a recently privatized entity when the privatization was nullified by the State.
- Provided assistance to the local regulatory body in determining whether allegations of professional misconduct on behalf of a chartered accountant were justified as part of disciplinary proceedings.
- Assisted a client in a highly regulated international trading environment develop a sanctions compliance program that satisfied the relevant authorities sufficiently to remove the client from multiple sanctions lists.
- Provided expert testimony on behalf of a government agency as to the profits generated by an alleged criminal enterprise involving smuggling and other criminal activity.
- Prepared a report to be put before the Parliament of the UK to explain the reasons for the financial collapse of a government sponsored project.
- Assisted the directors of a listed entity respond to its regulators following the loss of control over assets of the company.
Prior to joining Control Risks, Michael was a Partner in PwC and prior to that in KPMG. He was based in North America, the UK, Central and Eastern Europe, the Caribbean and Asia. He worked in numerous other locations over his career, including extended periods in Saudi Arabia, Switzerland and Brunei.