Mason Pan is a Principal within Control Risks’ Compliance, Forensics and Intelligence practice in the Americas region. He is the leader of the Data Analytics group for the Americas region and is based in Washington, DC.
- Anti-fraud & Financial Crime
- Data Mining Trend Analysis and Outlier Detection
- Risk-based Transaction Monitoring
Mason Pan is a Principal within Control Risks’ Compliance, Forensics and Intelligence practice in the Americas region. He is the leader of the Data Analytics group for the Americas region and is based in Washington, DC. Mason delivers analytics-led solutions to global corporations and law firms requiring in-depth analysis of large, disparate sets of financial, operational and transactional data on matters relating to regulatory compliance, investigations and risk management.
Mason applies his experience in data analytics, custom application development and eDiscovery services to help his clients narrow the investigative focus, map relationships between disparate systems and identify data patterns and irregularities to derive conclusions based on electronic evidence. Mason’s work and thought leadership has been published in compliance & ethics journals, accounting magazines and technology websites, and is a speaker at technology and legal professional conferences.
Recent representative engagements include:
- Engaged by independent monitor as part of DOJ settlement pertaining to violations of federal laws in connection with the marketing, structuring, arrangement, underwriting, issuance and sale of RMBS by a global financial institution. Designed and conducted testing procedures using data analytics to assess, verify and report on $4B in consumer relief efforts.
- Engaged by Brazilian entity to conduct a large scale internal investigation on its holding company, subsidiaries, and special purpose entities to identify evidence and knowledge of kickbacks paid for construction contracts stemming from “operation car wash”. Led 30 person team to perform data analytics across 10 entities and 100M transactions.
- Engaged by multinational-corporation to implement proactive anti-corruption compliance assurance program. Design a risk-based framework and implement analytics-led tool to enhance regulatory compliance and achieve a return on investment by increasing effectiveness of the internal investigation team and reducing manual efforts as an alternative to staff augmentation.
- Engaged by several international financial institutions to quantify its internal exposure to U.S. related accounts. Performed electronic search for U.S. indicia in core banking and transactional systems. Analyzed customer communications and financial data to identify transactional patterns, asset flow and potential fraud.
Prior to joining Control Risks, Mason was with Navigant Consulting as an Associate Director in the Disputes and Investigations practice, and before that he was a Director at FTI Consulting in the Financial and Enterprise Data Analytics group. He graduated from Northwestern University with a dual degree B.S. in industrial engineering and economics. He is a member of the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association and the ABA Data Science Working Group.