Ling is a Director in Control Risks. Based in Hong Kong, Ling leads the company’s Government Affairs Consulting practice in Greater China and North Asia.
Ling has years of experience advising senior executives of multinational companies and organizations across many industries including healthcare, retail, food and beverage, education and manufacturing. Her deep understanding of the political landscape and industry challenges in China has supported many foreign companies to manage challenging situations with local and national government entities and regulators. Ling specializes in strategy development, government affairs, partnership building, crisis management, and spokesperson training. She also manages key relationships with government agencies, industry associations and think tanks.
Examples of Ling's work include:
- Designed and led a government relations workshop as the key trainer for a major US food company in China, based on tailored in-depth analysis around the political, regulatory and compliance threats that could challenge and adversely impact the company. The workshop not only helped to educate team members from different business units about what is and how to do good government relations in China, but also paved the way for the successful development of a more proactive government relations engagement strategy to support its strategic business goals in China.
- Advised the senior executives to design solutions that incorporated government relations into their overall compliance strategies in order to identify and mitigate future risks.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company on how to build an “early warning system” to better mitigate the geopolitical and regulatory challenges they will face in China, as well as identifying potential market entry partners for the organizations.
- Worked with senior executives of a global medical device manufacturer to develop a strategy to understand the current regulatory environment around a particular product line and then adapt their manufacturing and marketing approach to align more closely with changing regulations.
- Identified and developed a solid partnership in China for an influential American pharmaceutical association to help address the advocacy needs of its member companies and develop positive perception among key regulators and the community.
- Helped a leading logistics company expand its central government engagement outreach to National Development and Reform Commission, China’s top economic planner, by developing a joint research and industry advocacy project with its affiliated think tank.
- Provided spokesperson training and crisis management training to C-suite executives of many MNCs.
- Helped a big European medical device company to identify and ultimately negotiated the location in China to set up their APAC R&D centre.
Prior to joining Control Risks, Ling led the Hong Kong office for APCO Worldwide, a US government relations and strategic communications consultancy. Ling has worked as a senior researcher at JL McGregor & Company, a boutique consultancy advising hedge funds. She was also a reporter at China Central Television, China’s largest TV network before she joined the Washington Post Beijing Bureau as their chief researcher. Ling has a Bachelor’s degree from China Universities for Nationalities. She also completed a mid-career graduate study in the News and Mass Communication Institute at the People’s University in Beijing.