- Asia Pacific
- Crisis Management & Business Continuity Strategy Planning
- Threat & Risk Assessments
- Executive Protection
Kannan heads security risk and embedded resources within the Crisis & Security Consulting practice in India. He specialises in developing and implementing strategic security and safety consulting in the areas of physical security, crisis management, business continuity and occupational health and safety.
Some of the projects Kannan has managed include:
- Intervened and defused a crisis for a multinational bank that was facing threats of violence from a politically strong trade union.
- Led rescue operations during the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks and secured the safe return of all clients who were trapped in their hotels.
- Developed a holistic business continuity programme for a multinational IT company to make its customer care operations more resilient.
- Conducted security gap analysis and loss prevention audits for a diverse range of industries.
Prior to joining Control Risks, Kannan was in security and safety leadership positions with Adobe and Yahoo in Bangalore, and as a mid-level manager with Control Risks and American Express Bank. Before his corporate exposure, Kannan served in the Government of India as Assistant Director at National Civil Defence College, where he was a master trainer in Disaster Response.
Kannan started his professional career in the Indian Armed Forces. His military service of 15 years involved active service in counter insurgency operations, conventional armed conflicts and a tenure in the Army Headquarter Intelligence Directorate. He was a recipient of the Chief of Army Staff Commendation for gallantry action and voluntarily retired in the rank of Major.
Kannan has a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics from Indira Gandhi National Open University and a Master of Science degree specialising in Disaster Management from Sikkim Manipal University. He is a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) and certified in Occupational Safety & Health (NEBOSH). Kannan is fluent in English, Hindi, Tamil and Malayalam.