Jan manages Control Risks’ day-to-day operations and client engagements in Myanmar. Working from Yangon, he maintains and expands our local network and together with our team of Myanmar experts enables our clients to make informed decisions around new business ventures, resilience and problem-solving in the country.
- Asia Pacific
- Creating a Resilient Organisation
- Resolving Critical Issues and Crises
- Delivering Growth and Opportunity
Jan manages Control Risks’ day-to-day operations and client engagements in Myanmar. Working from Yangon, he maintains and expands our local network and together with our team of Myanmar experts enables our clients to make informed decisions around new business ventures, resilience and problem-solving in the country. He also regularly draws from his experience to lead on the design and implementation of Control Risks’ consulting solutions across the Southeast Asian region.
Jan previously managed Control Risks’ Global Risk Analysis teams for Europe and Africa and before that led Control Risks’ Global Risk Analysis practice in the Middle East and North Africa.
Jan’s consulting experience includes:
- Supporting the decision-making of a leading energy company around a major energy infrastructure project in Myanmar by conducting a country- and project-specific assessment of a range of integrity, political, operational and security risks facing the project.
- Leading Control Risks’ largest stakeholder assessment and social investment project for an international oil company that obtained licences for three major blocks in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. The six-month project involved interviews with 1,500 people and provided the client with a tool to manage local community relations as well as inform its political, operational, security and integrity risk management processes.
- Jan has furthermore designed and delivered a range of risk management solutions around integrity and political risk, and helped clients across different sectors to resolve problems such as nonpayment, partnership, corruption and regulatory issues.
Prior to joining Control Risks, Jan worked in the field of law, first with the European Space Agency in the Netherlands and later as a lawyer in Egypt and the United Arab Emirates. He has comprehensively advised clients on commercial and corporate law aspects of business operations throughout the Middle East, including challenging jurisdictions such as Ethiopia, Sudan, Iraq and Saudi Arabia.
Jan Kamphuisen holds a Master’s degree in European and International Law, and a degree in Arabic Language and Cultures from Leiden University in the Netherlands. He also studied International Relations at the University of Poitiers, France. Jan is a native Dutch speaker and also speaks English, French, German, Arabic and Spanish and is working hard to improve his Burmese.