Gillian Parker provides expert analysis on West and Central Africa, with a specialism on Nigeria acquired over the past decade. Based between Lagos (Nigeria) and Johannesburg (South Africa), Gillian has experience briefing companies looking to enter or expand their business in this region.
- Political and Economic Risk Consulting
- Stakeholder Mapping
- Threat, Risk & Maturity Assessments
Gillian Parker provides expert analysis on West and Central Africa, with a specialism on Nigeria acquired over the past decade. Based between Lagos (Nigeria) and Johannesburg (South Africa), Gillian has experience briefing companies looking to enter or expand their business in this region. Gillian also writes for Control Risks’ CORE subscription services, including producing forecasting scenarios for Nigeria, and she is responsible for managing and delivering bespoke consulting projects.
Her recent engagements include:
- Responding to client queries on social unrest in the Niger Delta, and central and north-eastern Nigeria, analysing its impact on commercial operations in the country.
- Numerous political and security assessments for commercial operations located in major urban centres in Nigeria.
- An in-depth study of the security, political and policy environment in Nigeria, including stakeholder mapping and the intricacies of oil theft for a major oil and gas project in the Niger Delta.
- Threat assessment for a large-scale risk evaluation of a complex conflict zone in north-eastern Nigeria and Chad for energy projects.
- An assessment of the potential for social unrest and political instability for an NGO travelling to Central African Republic.
- Intelligence gathering and analysis of regional military operations and events in Chad, Nigeria, Cameroon and Niger.
Prior to joining Control Risks, Gillian was The Economist's Nigeria correspondent for four years. During this time, Gillian covered issues relating to Islamist militancy, conflict over resources, oil theft and the management of oil resources in the Niger Delta. After moving to Johannesburg, she was a contributing analyst to the Economist Intelligence Unit, focusing on bespoke reports for clients in Africa and the Middle East with an interest in investing in the continent. Gillian has reported from the Central African Republic, Cameroon, Niger, Mozambique, South Africa, Zambia and Lesotho. She holds an MSc in African Politics from SOAS, University of London.