Andrés Sáenz is a Director for Control Risks’ Crisis and Security Consulting department in Bogotá, Colombia.
- Crisis Management & Business Continuity Strategy Planning
- Incident Response Coordination
- Security Master Planning & Implementation
Andrés Sáenz is a Director for Control Risks’ Crisis and Security Consulting department in Bogotá, Colombia. Andrés covers security consulting, crisis management and initial response, complex problem-solving, and operational risk management with a focus on Spanish-speaking South America. In this role, he assists clients with business continuity, crisis management, crisis communications, contingency planning and initial response and risk management. Andrés also supports Control Risks’ Response division as a hand-holder, providing immediate crisis support during KRE (kidnap, ransom and extortion) incidents.
- Designing and executing special contingency plans for companies operating in hostile environments during the preparation, activation and post-contingencies stages.
- Delivering expert-level advisory during a crisis incident at a major mining company with operations in Antioquia, Colombia that was targeted by criminal organizations associated with illegal mining operations and dissident groups from the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).
- Provided operational risk management support and assessment for one of the world’s largest investors in renewable power assets that was considering investing in energy generation facilities in Colombia and Latin America more broadly.
- Developed security and incident response protocols for Colombian and foreign-based companies investing in medicinal cannabis projects.
- Developed crisis management training and advisory in Brazil, Argentina and Colombia for a European natural gas provider with operations in the Latin America region.
- Developed a corporate crisis management plan and communications strategy for a mining conglomerate with operations in the northern department of la Guajira in Colombia.
Highlights of Andrés’ recent experience include:
Prior to joining Control Risks, Andrés held senior positions in the Colombian government including appointments in the Ministry of Defense and the Civilian Intelligence Agency. He was the Colombian Ministry of Defense’s first defense and security policy director. Previously, he provided advisory in intelligence affairs to the office of the director of the Civilian Intelligence Agency. From 2001 to 2005, he worked as an associate research professor at the National Defense University in Washington DC and in the private sector as a senior analyst at Lloyd's Maritime Intelligence Group in Washington DC.
Andrés holds a master’s degree in war studies from King’s College London and a bachelor’s degree in political science from the Universidad de los Andes in Bogotá. In 2010, he completed a Chevening Senior Fellowship awarded by the British Foreign Commonwealth Office in the “Reforming the Security and Justice Sectors in Post-Conflict Countries Program” at the University of York in the UK. Andres is fluent in English and Spanish.
The Global Insight