Alecia is responsible for analyzing political, regulatory and security developments in South-East Asia, specifically focusing on Thailand, Myanmar and the Philippines.
- Asia Pacific
- Creating a Resilient Organisation
- Political and Economic Risk Consulting
Alecia is responsible for analyzing political, regulatory and security developments in South-East Asia, specifically focusing on Thailand, Myanmar and the Philippines. She contributes to Control Risks’ Country Risk Forecast (CRF) and Political Risk, Insight, Monitoring and Expertise (PRIME) services and has conducted bespoke analysis for multinational clients across these jurisdictions. With her background in law, she has also provided legal advice on a diverse range of matters involving commercial litigation and arbitration.
Examples of consultancy projects that Alecia has worked on include:
- Political, regulatory and security assessments for a multinational company seeking to enter Myanmar’s hydropower sector.
- Full market entry assessments for companies seeking to enter Myanmar, focusing on risks arising from political instability, civil unrest, and ethnic insurgencies.
- Scenario planning around the 2014 Thai military coup and an assessment of operational disruption, including an assessment of hotspots vulnerable to civil unrest in Bangkok and the surrounding provinces.
- In-depth short-and long-term political and security scenario analyses for Thailand, focusing on the underlying triggers for instability and the violent implications on the client’s operations.
- Detailed stakeholder mapping for investors seeking to enter Myanmar’s telecommunications sector, including an assessment of potential connections between local incumbents and military-linked actors.
- Detailed threat assessment of hotspots in Manila (Philippines) vulnerable to political and civil unrest, kidnap-for-ransom and criminality.
- Pre-transaction counter party risk assessments on Burmese conglomerates in relation to a proposed joint venture with a foreign investor.
- Detailed political forecasting on the 2015 Myanmar general election, including an assessment of the likely impact on the client’s operations.
- Litigation support and investigations for a multinational company facing extortion threats from state-actors in the Philippines.
Before joining Control Risks, Alecia worked as a senior analyst in IHS' country risk and forecasting team, where she was responsible for contributing to IHS' subscription services as well as delivering client briefings and bespoke consulting work. Prior to that, she practiced law at the dispute resolution team in Drew & Napier LLC, advising on a variety of matters involving commercial litigation and international commercial arbitration. Alecia holds a Bachelors of Law degree from the National University of Singapore and an MSc in International Relations from the Nanyang Technological University in Singapore.