Many of the most attractive commercial opportunities today can be found in emerging or transition countries with poor standards of governance. How can you build successful commercial ventures in high-risk environments, while still playing by the rules?
The passing of the UK Bribery Act in April brings the UK into line with the tough stance adopted by the US and other OECD countries towards corruption. In recent years, prosecutors have co-ordinated their efforts and have shown ever greater willingness to pursue major cases. The potential penalties for offences include prison sentences and punitive fines. Additionally, professional fees in investigating bribery can be substantial, and prosecution almost inevitably results in damage to the corporate brand.
How can you ensure you don't fall foul of this legislation when faced with the significant complexities of doing business in such challenging regions?
What distinguishes Control Risks’ anti-corruption practice is the scope and depth of expertise within its global team: anti-corruption advisers, political risk specialists, seasoned investigators, crisis managers and consultants whose daily work takes them to some of the world’s most difficult countries. Our consultants speak the languages and know the territories. Whether the need is focussed due diligence, country specific knowledge, the reality of local practices or the investigation and management of a problem, Control Risks can handpick the right team of experts to give you the advice you need.
How Control Risks can help
- Risk assessment and due diligence investigations - We provide clients with the integrity information that they need before entering new markets or embarking on new business relationships. More
- Strategic audit and review - Prevention is better than cure. We help clients assess the effectiveness of their anti-corruption compliance systems
- Fraud investigation and problem-solving - A well-designed ethics programme will help minimise integrity-related problems, but even the best-run companies need to be prepared for occasional setbacks
- Training - We offer training workshops for both international companies, multilateral agencies and as a component of international conferences
- Reports and ‘white papers’ - Control Risks is an opinion-leader in the anti-corruption field. These reports distil our assessments of the latest international developments and emerging best practice
Most leading international companies now have formal codes of conduct: the challenge is to ensure that the principles in these codes are fully applied at all levels of the company throughout its operations.
Control Risks consultants offer clients a strategic audit and review to assess the effectiveness of their integrity policies, identify weak spots, and recommend solutions. The audit includes an analysis of the company’s organisational structure; the effectiveness of checks, balances and controls; internal communication and reporting lines; and training programmes.
Depending on what we find, we can offer advice on methods of helping the company to establish or reinforce its policies, and provide defences again both internal and external threats that might undermine its integrity.
For more information on our anti-corruption services please contact us.